This is the last post in my 2020 overview and 100% a very self-indulgent one. I don’t know how interesting it will be for any of you to read me talk about the goals I didn’t achieve and whatever resolutions I have for 2021, but if you have yet to set up goals for the new year, maybe this post can be at least inspiring! For the most part, it’s just to hold myself accountable.
Let’s look back to my 2020 goals, and see if I even accomplished anything:
MY 2020 GOALS
- Read 50 books. ✔️ I actually read 90, and I definitely wouldn’t have accomplished such number if lockdown hadn’t happened. In April alone, I read 12 books, and while most of my year was full of mediocre reads, I am still happy with the overall number and the fact I pulled an overachiever for this one.
- Learn how to drive. ✖️ Since the pandemic started, most driving ed classes were canceled and, even though they’ve restarted by now, I’ve honestly lost all motivation to sign up for classes. Also, my sister has been driving more frequently, so I can just ask her to drive me places now lol.
- Believe in my dreams and work towards them. ✖️ Yeah, this didn’t happen, lol. Even though it was such a “broad” goal, I did have specific things I wanted to do, such as get a higher paying job, save money, improve my English, etc., and none of these things happened. I dreamt a lot, though! I literally lived in daydreams this year, since we couldn’t really go anywhere. But, yeah this was a fail.
- Find a blogging schedule. ✖️ This was another EPIC FAIL! I set up a schedule at the beginning of the year, and I probably stuck with it for like two weeks? I hate not being able to blog consistently, and I know I need to make it more of a habit, but yeah, it’s not going great. It’ll be a new goal for 2021.
- Do not give up on writing. Or anything. ✔️ Y’all, I DID IT! I spent an entire year without giving up on mostly anything? I mean, I did give up on a few things (
even some school assignments which is obv no bueno), but I pushed through many more! And I even completed NaNo, and while I didn’t finish my book (I still have a few chapters to go), the fact I did not give up on my story makes me proud.
So, overall, out of my 5 goals, I completed 2, which is kinda bad, but also considering 2020 and our circumstances, some were out of my reach and I’m not entirely mad at what I didn’t accomplish. (Except the not finding a blogging schedule thing. Jesus, when will I learn?)
Now, it’s time to set up my goals for 2021! I am going to break them down between reading and personal. I also realized I’ll be turning 21 years old, which is absolutely disgusting, and I made myself sad just writing this.
MY 2021 GOALS
- Read 70 books. Seeing my Goodreads goal go back to zero is pretty scary, but I want to push myself to read at least 6 books a month, meaning if I do stick to it, I’ll finish 72 by the end of 2021. *crosses fingers*. I really don’t want to lower it!
- Read at least one black author a month. I had this as a mini goal last year, but didn’t really write it down anywhere, so I ended up not sticking to it for every month. But I want to be more conscious of it for 2021!
- Finish all my on-going series. At the moment, I do have a few series I need to either catch up on or finish altogether, such as the His Dark Materials trilogy, the Truly Devious trilogy, and the Trials of Apollo.
- Start a new series! As I finish more, I also want to start a new series. It’s been forever since I last felt myself getting super attached to characters in a series, and I’m debating between The Gilded Wolves and Renegades. Maybe I’ll even start both!
- Solo travel? Not me having a travel related goal for 2021, after a pandemic. But who knows, things can perk up! Edinburgh is my dream destination, however, I also have no money, so I’ll definitely need to save up *hard* in order to make it happen.
- Find a blogging schedule. ISTG, if I fail this again by the end of 2021, I will have to end it all. It will happen. It shall happen. I will *not* spend two weeks without blog hopping, so I can get super overwhelmed and then skip a bunch of posts and just become a *mess*. I refuse to.
- Take care of myself. I realized recently how much I neglect myself, and especially my own health a lot. I have pretty bad scoliosis and I haven’t had a check up since I left high school. I also keep my clothes until they’re unusable and I hate spending money in myself. I also am probably the only person to exist who does not have a skincare routine (
literally I do nothing but washing my face in the shower lmao). I know I need to be better about it, but it’s something I find very challenging and uncomfortable, so it definitely won’t be an easy one to achieve, but that’s the point of setting these resolutions, right?
- Don’t give up on things! This was an accomplished goal for 2020 I’ll be carrying onto the new year. Mostly because I am a quitter, not a fighter, lol. So I really want to stick to whatever projects I start, even if things get hard!
- Finish my WIP! And maybe start a new project? I’ve had a few ideas recently, but I really don’t want to work on anything else until I’ve finished my current WIP. I still have a few chapters to write and I’ve been giving myself a break since NaNo, but it’s time to get back to it so I can say I’ve actually written a novel.
Y’all! That’s it! If you have any reading/personal goals for 2021, let me know them in the comments! Did you do well on your 2020 resolutions? Are you excited to set up goals for the new year or more cautious? Let’s talk!